James J. Flaherty, Jr.
Jim Flaherty heads up the firm's Southbury office and is a member of the estate planning and probate group. Jim's practice focuses on assisting high net worth individuals, including closely held business owners in the creation of wealth succession plans. These plans are designed to preserve the client's wealth while planning appropriately for the next generation. In addition to estate planning, Jim works with individuals with respect to Medicaid (Title 19) and asset protection planning.
Jim is admitted to practice in Connecticut and Massachusetts. He has appeared in many of the probate courts in Connecticut in matters concerning fiduciary disputes, will contests, trust construction proceedings, conservatorship and mental capacity issues, and administration of estates.
Residing in Woodbury, Jim has been involved in many civic and charitable organizations. Notably, he is a former member of the board of directors of the Morris Foundation and the Western Connecticut Area Agency on Aging in Waterbury, Connecticut; he represented the Connecticut River Lacrosse Club in Old Lyme; and has been a pro bono volunteer for the Foundation for Financial Services Professionals and the Veterans' Committee of the Connecticut Bar Association, representing individuals who would not otherwise have access to legal counsel.
He is currently the president of the Southbury Historical Society and is one of the founding organizers of the Southbury Senior Network.
- Connecticut Bar Association, Estates and Probate Section Executive Committee
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Estates Section
- American Bar Association, Member, Present
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member, 1995 to Present
- Western Connecticut Estate Tax & Planning Council, Member, Present
- Connecticut Estate & Tax Planning Council, Member, Present
- Veterans Committee of the Connecticut Bar Association
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- LL.M. - 2004
- Major: Taxation
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- J.D. - 1995
- Fairfield University, Fairfield, Connecticut
- B.S. - 1991
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Finance
- Connecticut, 1995
- Massachusetts, 2002
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court